Gold Dredge, Buller River.
Postcard sent December 1907.
Lake Rotoiti is the source of the Buller River and from here it heads westward to reach the Tasman Sea at Westport. Scene of earthquakes, floods, and home to hundreds of transient workers during goldmining times, the gorge has been a challenge to horsemen, coach drivers, roadmakers and bridge builders alike.

Maori used the river as a highway and helped early European explorers and goldminers to negotiate the treacherous rapids.

Newman Brothers Coachlines Coaches would stop at various vantage points along the gorge. Their passenger and mail run through the upper Buller Gorge began in 1883. A full day was needed to travel by horse and coach from Longford (near Murchison) to Lyell.
A pair of Maori prospectors found gold in Lyell Creek late in 1862, from this sparked off some of the richest discoveries in New Zealand mining history. Despite the steep hillside, the town grew rapidly to meet the demands of miners and their families. By 1873 there were six hotels, three stores, one drapery and ironmongery store, three butchers, one baker, two bootmakers, two agency offices, a blacksmith shop and a school.
Buller Road.
Hawk's Crag.
Postcard sent Nov 1908.
Buller Gorge.
Postcard sent Aug 1908.
Buller Gorge.

Lyell township.
Lyell Bridge.
The Tunnel, Buller Gorge.
Buller River and Road.
Hawk's Crag.
Sullivan's Bridge, Buller Gorge.
Crossing the Buller.
Roadway, Buller Gorge.
Crossing the Buller Rd. 1890s
Buller Ferry near Westport, early 1900s
Buller Rd. near Berlins.
Inangahua Junction.
Fern Pool, Buller Rd near Westport.
Bluff, Buller Gorge.
Postcard sent 1909
Buller River.
Gold Dredge, Buller River.
Lyell, Buller Gorge.
Hawk's Crag.
Hawk's Crag.
Gold dredges, Buller early 1900s.
Berlin's Hotel, Lower Buller.
The changing stables,  Buller Gorge.
Buller Gorge, near Berlin's.
Lyell Bridge, Upper Buller.
Lyell Bridge, Upper Buller.
Postcard sent 1908.